Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Rhetoric 1030 Analysis of “Trapped Essay”


            During my senior year of high school, I was given an assignment that required me to compare and contrast similarities between the the two books Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka and A Dolls House by Henrik Ibsen. I was to look at the two main characters of both stories and pick out obstacles and burdens that stopped them from completing their day to day activities. The assignment required me to find three instances in the book for each character using in text citations and compare how their situations were similar and how they were different as well as how they were able to overcome these barriers. One example from the paper has to do with how Gregor, from Metamorphosis, is turned into a bug and has to try and continue to live a somewhat normal life despite being a nuisance to his friends, family and job. He eventually realizes he is to much of a pain not only to the people around him, but also to himself. He makes the final decision to end his own life, so that he is no longer hindering people in their day to day lives. Both stories have very drastic changes in the plot so that the main characters are able to be in a better place. After writing this paper, I was able to think about my current situation. I was able to think about certain barriers or burdens in my life. My life may not be as bad as Gregor’s, but its intriguing to think about how one can overcome those barriers. I believe this was one of the main goals my teacher had when she presented us with this paper. Overall, I enjoyed the assignment and I think I gained more than just a grade on the paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment